10 Signs your past relationship is holding you back
It’s been said that one of the easiest ways to get over a past relationship is by jumping into a new one. It’s easy, fast and a safe way to avoid heartbreak almost completely. After all, old love lost can always be replaced by new love gained. But what do you do when you find new love, but still find yourself obsessing over your old love? It could happen to any of us. You may date someone new, but inside, you may secretly dream of getting back with you ex.
You may date someone new, but you’ll never be able to truly love them unless you let go of the illusion of love you’ve created around your ex. Your happy moments will never feel happy, and the minor arguments you have with your present lover will only make you want to get back with your ex even more, even though there’s no chance of that ever happening.
Remember, your ex and you broke up for a reason. There’s nothing you can do about it but move on. Fantasizing about it will only make you feel miserable and leave you unhappy, even if you’re in a relationship that’s far better than the one you’ve shared with your ex.
It’s alright to think fondly of your ex now and then. After all, you did share a lot of great moments with them. But unless you close the past chapter and start your present romance with a clean slate, you’ll never be able to move on. And the love that you experience with anyone else will never truly be love, because you’re still holding on to the love you have for someone else, someone who will never love you back again.
1) Comparisons. In your mind, do you constantly find yourself comparing every little detail of your new relationship with your past relationship? You have to understand that no relationship is ever the same. Instead of comparing how one relationship is better than the other, just learn to enjoy the present romance. After all, pros and cons never work in love, instincts and feelings do.
2) Bumping into your ex. Do you imagine circumstances where you bump into your ex? Do you visualize how amazing it would feel or the way you’d tightly wrap your arms around your ex? If you dream of the happy conversations you’d have with each other or how the lingering touches would feel, you’re definitely still in love with you ex even if you feel otherwise.
3) You talk about your ex. How often do you talk about you ex with your lover, your friends or even with yourself? Talking about exes is a way of keeping in touch with the memories. If someone else talks about your ex, that’s acceptable. But if you secretly look for ways to twist the conversation towards your ex, you definitely haven’t moved on yet.
And just so you know, even bitching about your ex to your new lover is still your way of keeping in touch with your ex’s memory by comparing your relationships.
4) You dream of your ex. Well, I’m not talking about literally dreaming of your ex here. Do you spend a lot of time now and then daydreaming about situations where you and your ex bump into each other and spend time together, at work or on a holiday or some other place?
If you fantasize about scenarios where you and your ex have to spend time together, or recreate a fantasy where both of you fall back into love, you definitely need to work on your moving-on skills.
5) Dating with a vendetta. Are you dating someone new only to prove a point to your ex that you can find someone just as sexy and awesome as your ex *or even better*? It may be a good way to piss your ex off, but once the high of rubbing it on you ex’s face wears off, you’ll realize that you still have a soft spot for your ex.
6) Online research. Do you google your ex now and then? Digging the dirt on your ex once a year is completely fine, and once a month is safe but on the edge. But if you’re googling your ex at least once every week, you need to keep yourself distracted because you still seem to be obsessed with your ex.
And if you do find yourself looking at your ex’s facebook wall, twitter feed or blog every night, you need serious help. You are still deeply addicted to your ex and no matter how many people you date, your ex will always have your heart until you’re ready to move on.
7) News of your ex. Are you excited by hearing any news about your ex, be it their new job or the new person they’re dating? Perhaps, you’re ready to move on but you’re still obsessed with your ex. Carry this on for a few months and you may just end up becoming a stalker!
8) You want to have an affair. If you’ve considered having an affair with your ex or if you’re trying to convince your ex to have an affair with you, you know you haven’t moved on yet. Even thinking it is a sure sign that you’d be willing to give up your present relationship if your ex would give you a second chance. Do you really think you can ever be happy in a new relationship when all you want to do is look for ways to have sex with your ex?
9) You fantasize about your ex. Do you secretly fantasize about your ex while having sex with your present lover? It may feel really good visualizing your ex naked in bed with you, but with thoughts like that, you’re only driving your mind further away from your current romance.
10) You don’t want to move on. This is the scenario most lovers fall into. Even though the relationship is over, many of us never want to move on. We may date someone else, but deep inside, we still keep our ex close to our heart hoping that they may return one day, even if it takes years.
If you’ve never really tried to get over you ex, and secretly use your partner only to fill the void on your heart, you’ll never ever be able to move on, and you’ll never experience a relationship that can truly be fulfilling and blissful.
Guys, I am constantly putting efforts in making your relationships better. But it won’t be possible without your support. So please do comment, like, react and share my articles and help reach them as far as possible!!