How to convince your parents to approve of your relationship..
Your boyfriend loves you, but your parents love you even more. They want what’s best for you, so they’ll try to get you to dump any guy that they deem unworthy of your greatness. However, just because they’re older doesn’t mean that they’re wiser. Here are a few things to do if your parents aren’t a fan of the boyfriend you’re madly in love with:
1) Understand your parents’ role: One of the first things that you’ll need to do is make sure that you understand your parent’s role. They are there to protect you. If your parents don’t approve of a relationship, there probably has to be a reason why. In fact, it might even be a good reason. Just remember to take a look at your relationship from their point of view!
2) Respect your parents: Your parents have been around for years and they have more experience in the relationship department. One tip that I have found that works when you’re dealing with parents that don’t approve of a relationship that works is actually to respect them. They are still your parents and they will always be your parents. Make sure that even if they don’t approve of your relationship, you are still respecting them.
3) Weigh the pros and cons: As I said before, your parents are there to protect you and they honestly don’t want to cause you any pain at all. With that in mind, how is your relationship? Do you think that it is worth all of the drama with your parents? Do you think that your parents not approving of your relationship is a sign? Maybe weighing the pros and cons of your relationship and really seeing if you are happy with the guy is a good option!
4) Talk to your parents: Ladies, your parents want to help you through anything, but you’ve got to talk to them. If your parents don’t approve of a relationship that you are in, you might just want to talk to them about it. Trust me, it can actually help them understand your relationship a little bit!
5) Talk to his parents: If you don’t have a whole lot of luck with your parents, why not have a conversation with his parents? To be honest, adults typically have a better time talking their problems out and who knows, maybe his parents will talk to yours and put them at ease about your relationship. You never know what can happen!
6) Find out the reason: If your parents don’t approve of a relationship that you’re in, there has to be a reason for it. This is something that you should definitely think about, that way you can make sure that you are covering every basis when you actually talk to your parents. What reasons do you think that they aren’t going to approve of your relationship?
7) Talk to him: Ladies, you want to make sure that you are talking to your guy. Not only do you want to talk to him about your parents, but you want to talk to him about exactly what your parents don’t like. Who knows, maybe he’ll want to talk to your parents and put their minds at ease!
8) Coach him: Before your boyfriend walks into your house, tell him which topics he should bring up to your parents and which ones he should avoid. If your mom is a sucker for flowers, tell him to buy some. If your dad is interested in cricket, tell your boyfriend to mention that he plays it.
9) Bring him home more often: With any luck, the more your parents see him, the more they’ll like him. As long as he’s respectful to them and treats you like a princess, there’s no reason for them to think poorly of him. The whole problem could be solved by involving him more in your parents’ lives.
10) Compromise: What do your parents dislike about your boyfriend? If they don’t like that he brings you home too late, then make sure you always come home early. If they don’t like the way he dresses, tell him to dress more conservatively the next time he’s invited over for dinner.
11) Ask about their relationship: Ask your mom if her father approved of your father back when they started dating. You may be able to remind her that parents don’t always know what’s best for their kids. Sometimes, being overprotected will push them away instead of protect them.
12) Avoid PDA: When your boyfriend comes over, tell him to avoid kissing you or even holding your hand. Some parents are uncomfortable seeing their little girl get touched by a boy. If you know your parents are worried about your sex life, then PDA should be avoided at all costs.
13) Involve a friend: Your parents might trust the judgement of your best friend or an aunt more than they trust you. If that’s the case, let your boyfriend meet that person and have them tell your parents how perfect they think he is. Hey, it could work.
14) Never complain about him: If you have an issue with your boyfriend, complain to your friends. Never say anything bad about him to your parents if they already dislike him. It’ll only make them angrier. It can be hard to hold your tongue, but it’s something you have to do.
15) Explain what you love: Your parents can’t see what you love about your boyfriend, because they don’t know him like you do. Sit down and explain all of his good traits to them. It may be awkward, but it will help to tell them about all of the romantic things he’s done for you in the past.
16) Give it time: Even though your parents hate your boyfriend now, they may change their minds in the future. You shouldn’t push them, because they might have to change their minds on their own. It could take some time, but if you end up marrying him, you have all the time in the world.
17) Agree to disagree: Unfortunately, your parents may never see just how wonderful your man is. If that’s the case, you’ll have to agree to disagree about him. Just don’t let their disapproval stop you from involving them in your life.
There are actually tons of different reasons why your parents don’t approve of a relationship your in. It could boil down to ethics, could boil down to personalities or it could be because your guy isn’t motivated and not good enough for you. Just remember ladies, if your parents don’t approve of a relationship that you are in, follow some of these tips and tricks!