How to gain weight if you are an Ectomorph?
Before getting on to this let me explain you who is an ectomorph
An ectomorph is a typical skinny guy. Ecto’s have a light build with small joints and lean muscle. Usually ectomorph’s have long thin limbs with stringy muscles. Shoulders tend to be thin with little width.
General Traits of an Ectomorph:-
- Small “delicate” frame and bone structure
- Classic “hardgainer”
- Flat chest
- Small shoulders
- Lean muscle mass
- Finds it hard to gain weight
- Fast metabolism
Now if your body falls below the above points then you are an ectomorph dude. Now you don’t need to worry about it. Its completely normal. Let me explain you my journey from Ecto to mesomorph.
It was way back in 2012, when I enrolled in my college. I wasn’t too skinny. I weighed 57kg but never felt good about myself. I joined a gym thinking I may get bulky and took milk and Banana as a diet. Did it work? Yes it did, 2 Kg in a month. That was too slow.. A banana carries only 105 kcal. So I was suggested some weight gainers.
I took and bang on.. My weight increased to 5 kgs in just 2 weeks. I was so happy but the moment I stopped taking it, I again came back to my original weight. So what happened exactly? What did I lose weight?
Lets now get into the science. Your body tends to put on weight when your daily intake of calories is more than your BMR i.e., Basal Metabolic Rate (Its the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight) So I was not able to gain because my daily calorie intake was ~ my BMR. And when I took weight gainer, the extra 1000 kcal I added to my diet helped me to gain weight.
So I was running short of 1000 kcal after leaving gainers. Being a college student with a few bucks as pocket money, I could not afford gainers through out the year. So let me tell you how can you create a calorie surplus diet for you without using expensive supplements. I devised a diet plan using the following food items and I weight 78 kgs now with just 15% body fat.
Note:- There is a difference between clean bulking and dirty bulking. In clean bulking you gain mass but you keep a check or control over putting on extra body fat. In dirty bulking, you keep on eating and eating and become couch potatoes. So avoid dirty bulking.
Note:- Keep your macros:- 40% Carbs, 40% Protein, 20% Fats
Source of carbohydrates (40% of your daily calorie intake)
- Brown bread (1 packet ~ 1000 kcal) [contains complex carbs: You can consume it anytime of the day]
- Oats (100 g ~ 400 kcal) [contains complex carbs: You can consume it anytime of the day]
- Brown rice [contains complex carbs: You can consume it anytime of the day]
- Sweet Potato [Contains complex carbs: Advisable to take pre and post-workout]
- Roti/Chappati/White Rice [contains simple carbs: should be taking only post workout to restore glycogen level]
- Bananas [contains simple carbs: should be taking only post workout to restore glycogen level]
Source of Proteins (40% of your daily calorie intake)
- Egg whites
- Whey Protein
Sources of fats (20% of your daily calorie intake)
- Peanut Butter
- egg yolk
- olive oil
- coconut oil
Besides these macro nutrients, there are some essential micro nutrients that are a must for overall development
- Multivitamins (I will recommend Becadexamin)
- ANTI-Oxidants like Vitamin E (Evion 400 can be taken)
- Himalaya Gokshura (acts as testosterone booster and provides stamina)
- Vitamin C Tablets (500 mg)
Hope this helps you guys. You can design a 3000-4000 kcal diet using the following products and stop being bullied and called skinny!!